Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 1

Well here's where it all begins.  This is where the sweat, tears, and blood will be spilt.  Well okay, maybe not blood, but I assure you there will be sweat and plenty of tears.  Let me start from the beginning.
My name is Darise and I'm a fitness instructor.  I teach Turbo Kick and RIPPED.  Both amazing exercise formats and ones I guarantee if you ever try them out you'll be hooked...especially if you take one of my classes :).  While I've been confident for the last several years in my workout abilities and cardio fitness levels, I've never been all that great about the eating healthy thing.  If you're anything like me you've been riding a food roller coast for the better part of your life.  Coming out of the tunnel heading up the steep incline I'm excited and motivated to stay on the fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy carbs lifestyle (won't use the word diet since that insinuates a quick fix and not a lifestyle change).  I'm excited to begin the journey and can't wait to see what lies ahead. But then comes the first drop off and I find I've lost all control.  My stomach is in knots and I let loose and allow myself one too many cookies, or scoops of ice cream.  The next incline comes quickly and I compose myself and get my head back in the game only to realize I'm falling again, right into a tub of Olive Garden's fettucini alfredo and breadsticks.  I can continue on with this analogy, however I'm guessing you've grasped the point I'm trying to convey.
I've grown tired of this roller coaster and I'm finally ready to get off.  Not only am I ready, but I've made the decision to actually get off the ride instead of just saying I'll get off, and then turning around and handing the conductor another ticket.
My sweet husband has been listening to this chaotic ride of mine for the last several years and he's agreed to assist me in my efforts.  I knew in order to be successful with this I'd need motivators (as if getting a smokin' hot body isn't motivation enough), however I knew I needed something along the way to keep me going.  The number one motivator for me has been and will always be SHOPPING.  So for every 30 days I go without cheating I get to make a somewhat big purchase.  For example I've been eying a new down comforter for our bed so if I make it through the first 30 days without cheating I get to buy it without any complaints or eye rolls from my hubby.  That's a gift in and of itself.  :)
So here's the challenge.  I've agreed that I will cut out sugar (i.e. ice cream, cookies, brownies, candy, etc...) and and eating out for 90 days.  I know what you must be thinking.  This is madness!  No eating out for 90 days!?  No tiny piece of candy to get you through a rough day?  Say what!!!?  To some degree, yes I agree that this is going to be tough...extremely tough, but I know it's the only way I can get out of my bad habits and into good ones.  Here's why:  When I eat candy, ice cream, cookies, etc... I never eat just one or even 2.  I have bowl fulls, and several handfuls of the yummy goodness that is no good for the body.  When I eat out I don't opt for the grilled chicken menu item.  I go for the double cheese burger, fries, and large shake.  You see where I'm going with this?   By eliminating these items completely I'll be able to cut the beating myself up thing completely and hopefully will get a grip on what a sliver of cake really means vs. eating a sliver of cake followed up by 3 or 4 full slices.  I know this is going to be hard.  While I'm excited and motivated today, I'm fully aware a bad day or my dreaded Aunt Flow is going to show up and try to ruin it, but I'm determined to see this challenge through.
I've created this blog that, (BT dubbs, I plan to post something everyday of this challenge) will also assist me in staying on track.  I'm not sure I'll necessarily log what I ate everyday, but I will post how my days are going and how I'm feeling.  I'd love any and all comments whether it's words of encouragement or facilitators that you think can keep me on the healthy food track.  I'm really excited to prove to not only myself, but to my family and friends that this is possible.  If you set your mind to something you can achieve anything.  It's going to take a lot of work, focus, and motivation, but I'm confident I'm going to succeed.
My name's Darise and today is day one of my 90 day challenge.  Wish me luck and check back tomorrow to see how I'm doing.  As if you have nothing better to do.  Ha!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment