Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 3

Motivation.  It's a fabulous thing to have in your corner, but a miserable thing when it's back is turned on you.  It's easy to get motivated about something when you first start to talk about it and execute it.  You're amped to get underway whatever it is that you've set out to do and can't wait to start laying the bricks.  Day one of your journey is exciting and seems surprisingly easy.  You're feeling good come day 2 and thinking there's no way you'll hit a wall.  But then comes day 3 and BAM!  You can't find where you left the motivation the day before.  Is it hiding in my bed and wants to sleep in for a few hours?  Did I leave it outside or down in the basement?  I'm not exactly saying I've lost mine completely, however this evening has been a tough one.  I ate great all day and was feeling really good about my food choices.  That is, until after I taught my Turbo Kick class.  For whatever reason all I wanted to eat when I finished my class was candy and chocolate.  It could be that I know I can't have them for the next 90 days so they're in the forefront of my mind or it could possibly just be that I genuinely was just craving them, but man oh man it was hard to stay strong and cook my ground turkey and steam up some broccoli.  It's a great feeling knowing I didn't cave and say "screw it all.  this was a stupid idea," however I'm not liking the fact that I'm already having these urges to cave.  
So, here's where the motivation factor comes in.  It clearly wasn't popping it's head out on it's own making me feel nice warm fuzzies inside, so for the better part of the evening I've been reminding myself of why I started this challenge.  I ended up in front of my bathroom mirror doing affirmations and listing all the reasons I wanted to take on this challenge.  I repeated them over and over again until the heavy urge to run out and get something sweet passed.  One of my biggest motivators to stay on track is this blog.  Wouldn't I be so lame if I went to all this trouble of creating a blog and spilling my guts about what I'm doing only to recant everything 3 days in and say, "Ha!  Never mind.  I was only kidding.  Let's go get ice cream!"  Yes, I'd be very lame and I for one would not care for that, (who really would though?).  After my little affirmation segment in front of my mirror I went downstairs to grab a piece of gum out of my purse and voila!  The cravings for sweets was gone and I had delicious minty breath which my husband was most appreciative of.  Eureka!
I've decided to do daily affirmations of not only why I started this challenge, but why I'm strong enough to succeed.  There's something to be said about positive thinking and I'll be danged (edited for all viewers) if I'm going to let Negative Nelly ruin this for me.  In the words of the famous Stewart Smalley, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me!"
3 days down, only 87 more to go.

Until tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment